The archaeological excavation
The Macedonian tomb at Langadas known as the “Tomb of Macridy Bey” after its first excavator, Theodoros Makridis, is located in Derveni in the Prefecture of Thessaloniki. It was a vaulted edifice of monumental dimensions consisting of a main (burial) chamber and antechamber, built in the late 4th century BC for the burial of a single individual. The monument, which came to light in 1910, had been looted and was in very poor condition. Excavation was resumed in the 1990s by the Ministry of Culture’s responsible Ephorate of Antiquities (excavation supervisor: K. Tzanavari, archaeologist). During excavation, part of the ancient tumulus was removed, which resulted in a vertical slope with a height exceeding 12 meters which subsequently suffered erosion due to rainfall. During the same period, part of the ancient dromos was uncovered to a length of 4.60 meters from the façade, and to a depth of 6 meters from the extrados of the antechamber vault. In the course of this work, architectural members and stone blocks from the façade of the building and the face of the burial chamber were recovered from the soil. Following excavation and rudimentary protective measures, work was interrupted. In 2008, the study for the restoration of the monument was prepared by the responsible Ephorate of Antiquities, and implementation of the project began in 2012 with funding from the NSRF 2007-2013(Project budget: 1.185.000 €.)Work was carried out under the supervision of the Ephorate itself, and completed in 2015.